Sunday 5 December 2010

Memorable Birthday

Hi everyone, how are you? I will admit straightaway that I haven't got a card to post today, but as you read on you will understand why.

Firstly, I have to say thank you to so many people for their lovely birthday messages. Unfortunately, the snow has kept postie away, so I shall be like the Queen and have two birthdays when he finally does make it.

The day started out really well yesterday. We managed to get out of the village and to Tesco for some shopping - Old Mother Hubbard had nothing on me by Friday night! On the way home I stopped off to collect the most wonderful birthday cake ever! My very talented work colleague and fellow blogger Jean made this amazing creation. I had seen a cake Jean had done earlier in the year and I knew straightaway this is what I wanted.

Isn't it just fab? And you know what? It tastes Devine. Death by Chocolate Cake Yum Yum


And the bling is so me :-)


Pop over to Jean's blog and take a peek at all the wonderful creations she has made.

Ok so shopping done, cake home safely (without slipping on the ice with it), a few chores done, a bit more snow shifted, a sit down with a cup of tea. For those who don't know, I live right next door to mum & dad - in fact our houses are semis.

Whilst having a deserved sit down, the snow decided to avalanche off the house roof right through mum's conservatory roof. Fortunately, it brought the panels down in whole pieces and didn't smash them but the conservatory had about 2 ft of snow inside it. All hands to the deck to clear and fix as best as possible.


Ok so conservatory cleared, damage to be assesed in the morning, when my son shouted that I had better come back home and upstairs to his room.

The snow that had collected on the roof and found it's way through the roof tiles and was running a river down his bedroom wall, so much that the wallpaper had to come off. John had to get up onto the roof in the dark to move as much snow as possible to stop further water coming in. Patched up, damage to be assessed in the morning.


Still with me?

Not content with shedding the snow through the conservatory and Christopher's bedroom, the big thaw had one final avalanche.

This time it brought down all the fascia on the front of the house, the guttering, the top of the toilet waste pipe and corner ridge tiles. Normally the Laguna is parked up to the corner of the house (you might have noticed from the snow pics), but John left it further back yesterday. A good job as the corner ridge tiles landed right where the car would have been.


I have to say a big thank you to my family who have been so supportive and helped out. I couldn't have done it without them.

This birthday will be remembered as the Snowy one and I'm sure will be talked about for a few years yet.

You know what though? After getting really stressed about it yesterday and thinking why us? I am so grateful that no one was hurt, all my family are safe and that I have insurance!!!! :-)

I think this one is going to be my final snow picture -
Chris and Leanne on the trampoline enjoying the snow.




I really do hope you are all safe and well.

Thanks for stopping by.

Love
Becki
xx








1 comment:

  1. My goodness Becki, it's all go round at yours! I'm so impressed that you've managed to remain positive through it all. Happy birthday to you - and I think you definitely deserve a second one this year!

    ReplyDelete